Leadership can be defined as an art of influencing and inspiring employees to perform their duties competently, willingly and enthusiastically for achievement of groups objectives. It is one of the quality of a particular human being who can influence and inspire others to perform their duties competently and willingly. A leader can achieve goup’s objectives with the help of people who works willingly and interestingly.
- Leadership – Process of influencing other’s behaviour, definition of the leadership can change depending on the situation.
- Leadership – Directs the people to achieve goals
- Leadership – occupies a role for a given time and for a group
- Leadership – This is meant for given situation
- Leadership – It is a continuous process of influence of others and it instils dynamism in group
A leader should have good qualities to influence others. He should give people vision about future. Leadership is group activity, leader influence his subordinates and followers also excercise influence over their leader.
Importance of leadership
- A leader should act as a friend, guide and philosopher to the subordinates whom he is leading
- He must be able to recognise their potentialities and thransform them into realities
- He should win the confidence of the people whom he is leading
- He must be able to unite the people as team and should build team spirit
- He should maintain discipline among his people and should develop a sense of responsibility
- He must build high morale among his people
- He should motivate his people to achieve goals
- He should act as a link between work group and forces outside the organisation
Leadership – Styles
There are different styles of leaderships which depends upon a leader, organisation or government. According to the situation a different style of leadership can be implemented and followed. Some of the style of leadeships are listed and explained below.
Autocratic or Authoritarian style
There is no participation from subordinate in decision making in this style of leadership. The leader is the sole decision maker and subordinates should follow his orders. He will not ask any of his subordinates while making decissions. Subordinates will get punishment by this style of leader if they doesn’t perform according to the instructions given by their leader. This style of leader thinks that he is only the competent person. He gets tasks completed on time
Democratic or participative style
Subordinates participate in taking decission along with a leader in this type of leadership. In this style of leadership, a leader will allow members among the group for discussion and share with him about a particular problem and consider openions and ideas by his members. In this style of leadership subordinates will be given importance, so that leader can achieve quality of work output from his members. The demerits of this style of leadership is that it is time consuming and will take more time to arrive a decission.
This style of leadership is based on rules. The behaviour of this style of leader is determined by rules, procedures and regulations. Both the leader and his subordinates should follow the pre defined rules and regulations.
Expert leadership style
This style of leadership based on the ability, knowledge and competence of the leader. He will handle the situation skillfully with his talent. People who works under this style of leader feel great as they are worrking under a person who is expert and can handle the situation ably without any problem. In modern days most of the organisations should recruit many executives who differ in varieties of skill, knowledge and competences. They differ in quality, determination and attitude towrds organisation. They exhibits different behaviours as they differ in attitudes. So the leader must be able to understand their behaviour and accordingly make use of the various styles of leaderships. This type of leader should asses the situation and apply suitable leadership style.