In Active Directory, objects are stored with tight security, these objects can be located easily by authorized users and highly secured for unauthorized users. Once object is published in the active directory, management of the object is very easy for an administrator. Some of the most common Active Directory administrative tasks are
- Locating objects in Active Directory
- Publishing resources in Active Directory
- Moving objects in Active Directory
- Controlling access to Active Directory objects
- Delegating administration of Active Directory objects
Steps for locating objects in Active Directory:
- Click start – programs – administrative tools – Active Directory users and computers.
- Right click on the domain in which you want to search for an Active Directory object and click find.
- Select the type of object you want to find in the Find drop down list and select the domain name or entire directory in which you want to search in drop down list.
- Type the known information about the object you are planting to search and click Find now
- You can find the results of your search in the search results box which is located at bottom of the screen
- You can also use Advanced tab to find using more specific information of the object like user’s phone number or city name …etc
- You also can search for a printer using information like feature of a printer (Example: You can fine all printers in 3rd floor which can print in color)
Publishing resources in Active Directory:
Users and administrators can locate in Active Directory only when the objects must exist in Active Directory. Windows server 2003 automatically creates some of the objects in Active Directory when they are created. Some objects must be manually created by an administrators. The process of creating an objects like shared printer and shared folder in active directory is called Publishing. Publishing shared printers and folders in Active Directory provides an additional means for users to easily locate these resources. This is possible with searchable database of an Active Directory.
Steps for publishing shared folders or printers
- Start Active Directory Users and Computers.
- Select the domain or OU in the left pane in which you want to create a shared printer or folder.
- Select Action – New – Shared Folder to publish shared folder or Select Action – New – Printer to publish a printer.
- Type the name you want to assign to the new shared folder and enter the full network path of the shared folder and click OK. or
- Type the full network path of the printer and click ok if you are publishing a shared printer.
- The new shared printer or folder displayed in the right pane of the Active Directory Users and Computers dialog box.
Steps to Move objects in Active Directory
- Select the object you want to move from one domain or OU to another container object or OU
- Click Action – Click Move – Select the destination container object or OU and click OK
- You should be able to see the moved object in destination container object or OU
- The object you moved should not be there in the source OU or container object
Steps to controlling access to Active Directory objects
- Select view and click advanced features in the Active Directory Users and Computers dialog box
- Select the object you want to configure controlling access by another object
- Click Action and Click properties
- Click Security Tab
- Select the appropriate permissions you want to give access to a particular user or group and click Apply and click OK
Steps to delegate control to an Active Directory object
- Select the OU or Container object to which you want to assign delegation
- Click Action and Click Delegate control
- Click next in the “Welcome to the Delegation of Control Wizard”
- Click Add and select appropriate user or group of users to whom you want to give delegation of control for this object and click next
- Select the common tasks you want to delegate and click Next
- Click Finish in the “Completing the Delegation of Control Wizard” screen
You can manage active directory objects with this information. If you are unable to understand from this write up, you can take my online interactive training for MCSE to understand better. I will show you each topic clearly by doing experiment on my computer using VMware virtual windows server 2003 and windows server 2008. You can interact with me to clear all of your pin pointed doubts about any topic of MCSE and cleared instantly. You can save lot of time to learn windows administration by taking my class.
Please register yourself in this blog and leave a message about your convenient time to view the demo class. I will teach you the MCSE topic you selected.