SCM7.0 EHP1 IDES is used for learning purpose. Internal training to employees within SAP customer companies would be easier when there is a sample company data. SAP has provided this solution for learning purpose.
If your company wants to setup this kind of system to provide internal training to your employees, leave your comment using the following form. You can take my consulting services to setup or implement any kind sap system in your organisation. I can setup the SAP system landscape for low consulting charges.
You can also launch this IDES system within virtualization environment (Ex: VMware or Virtual Box) instead of a physical server. Once the system is launched and started, you can access it using SAP GUI from any desktop or laptop in your network. You can also use browser to access any SAP system without using traditional SAP GUI software in your client computers. If you can setup port forwarding in your router by registering with Dynamic DNS service, you can also access your SAP server over internet. If you don’t want to use Dynamic DNS, you can use static public IP address to access the SAP IDES server over internet.
Note: To run virtual disk in VMware workstation, Your computer/server BIOS should have VT (Virtualization Technology) enabled. You should check for this option in the BIOS of your server.
What are the benefits of a Virtual Machine…
- You can avoid long running SAP installations
- Without removing existing OS from your new laptop / desktop / server, you can configure ECC 6.0 EHP6 IDES within any VMware workstation
- You can create new virtual machine within VMware workstation easily, You can also just double click on .vmx file, SAP ECC 6.0 EHP6 IDES server will be started
- You can restore to original fresh system any time after you do experiments. You can keep the original files in safe location to restore later.
Steps to configure above SCM7.0 EHP1 IDES
- Install VMware workstation 8
- Open VMware workstation
- Click File – Click ‘New virtual machine
- Select the custom installation in the first screen
- Select the operating system Windows Server 2008 x64
- Select the option use existing hard disk in the HDD selection screen and browse to select the .vmdk file which you have extracted
- Click finish in the final screen
- Once it is done, Select the entry which is available in the left pane and Click on ‘Power on this virtual machine’ in the right pane
- Windows server 2008 will be started
- Select VM from menu and click ‘Send Ctrl+Alt+Del’
- Enter the password for administrator user account and hit enter
- You will see the desktop of Windows Server 2008
- Double click on ‘SAP Management Console’ shortcut, after appearing windows server desktop
- Start the SAP SCM 7.0 EHP1 IDES server using SAP Management console
- Login to SCM7.0 IDES using SAPGUI