SAP Solution Manager is a SAP software which runs in a separate central system, to which all other SAP systems are connected. Systems that are administered using the SAP Solution Manager are called as Satellite systems. The SAP Solution Manager will be used to do many things such as implementing and upgrading the SAP solutions, Service Desk operations, Monitoring Solution, Change Management, Delivery of SAP Serivces, Root Cause Analysis…etc. SAP has made mandatory of having Solution manager in the SAP System Landscape Directory. So it is very important to learn installation and configuration of SAP Solution manager by a SAP basis consultant.
SAP solution manager can be installed on any desktop, laptop or server with server operating system just like any sap application server installation (Ex: ECC 6.0, SRM, CRM, SCM…etc). We have to configure network adapter, Virtual memory, Java and RDBMS Installation to be done before starting SAP solution manager installation. We know how to configure and install all these pre installation requirements.
Software requirements to install Solution Manager on a Windows Server 2003 in Intel machine are…
- Windows server 2003 enterprise edition
- RDBMS – Oracle, MSSQL, MAXDB or DB2
- Installation Master CD
- JCE Policy
- Java Components
- Export CDs
If you are ready with above cds, you can start the SAP Solution manager. You should have 2 GB RAM and 80 GB Hard Disk to install SAP solution manager. The steps are as follows…
- Execute the file sapinst file which is located in your installation master cd in the location just like …51032955_11SAP_Solution_M._4.0_SR3_Inst._MasterIM_WINDOWS_I386
- You will get “Welcome to SAP Installation Master” screen after double clicking on above file
- Click on down arrow which will be visible in front of SAP Solution Manager 4.0 Support Release 3
- Click on down arrow which will be visible in front of SAP Systems
- Click on down arrow which will be visible in front of MS SQL Server
- Click on down arrow which will be visible in front of Central System
- Click on Central System Installation and click next
- Select Typical and click next in the Parameter Mode -> Default Settings screen
- In the “Media browser -> Software Package Request” browse for the Java components and click OK
- Type the SID of SAP System and click next (Select Unicode System Check Box)
- Type the master password two times and click next in the “SAP System -> Master Password Screen”
- Browse for Installation export EXP1 and click OK in the “Media Browser -> Software Package Check” screen
- Browse for Installation export EXP4 and click ok in the “Media Browser -> Software Package Check” screen
- Browse for Installation export EXP2 and EXP3 and click OK in the “Media Browser -> Software Package Check” screen
- Browse for the Kernel NW 70 and click OK
- Select the Option “Configure a Local SLD” and click Next
- Type the host name of the server and click Next
- Click start in the “Parameter Summary” screen
- This step will take minimum 2-3 hours depends on the hardware configuration of a computer. In my computer i.e 3GB and Core 2 Duo processor it was completed in 2 hours. The following image represents the successful installation screen of solution manager which was captured from my computer.
We can access the solution manager using SAPGUI as we did in ECC. We have to configure SAPGUI with SID and System Number of Solution manager to access it. We can use default client 000 and default user ddic or sap* to login to the SAP solution manager. Please ask me any question regarding this installation. I will try to clear all of your questions.