How to install windows server 2003 enterprise edition as VMware virtual machine for installing sap ecc 6.0
Installing sap ecc 6.0 sr2 or sr3 on a laptop or desktop with licensed windows vista or 7 possible through a virtual machine concept. This will help you to install ecc 6.0 without removing your host operating system. You can work simultaneously on your host os and windows server with ecc for practicing your sap technical (ABAP or BASIS) or any functional (FI, CO, SD, MM, PP, HR, PM etc…). modules. The steps to install windows server 2003 enterprise edition in a VMware workstation are as follows…
- Install VMware Workstation in your windows vista or widows 7 OS
- Open VMware Workstation
- Click on New Virtual Machine, Click Next in the “Welcome to New Virtual Machine Wizard”
- Select Typical and click next
- Select Microsoft Windows from Guest operating system option box and select windows server 2003 enterprise edition from drop down box and click next
- Set the virtual machine name and location to store the machine infromation. Select the drive which is having more space. We should have minimum 320 GB for SAP ECC 6.0 IDES installation and click next in the “Name the virtual machine” screen
- Click next in the “Network Type” Screen
- Change the disk size as 320 GB and click finish in the “Specify Disk Capacity” screen
- Virtual machine is ready to install windows server 2003 enterprise edition to install SAP ECC 6.0 SR2 on top of it
- Change Memory to 2048MB from devices pane – Double click and change and click OK
- Keep the windows server 2003 enterprise edition CD in drive
- Click “Start this virtual machine” click no in the Floppy drive missing message
- Os installation will be started automatically if the OS CD available in drive
- Hit C in the partition screen to create partition of 20 GB to install OS in C: Drive
- After creating C: partition hit enter to install the operating system. D: and E: drives can be created after completion of OS
- Select the option “Format the partition using the NTFS file system (quick) and hit enter. Windows server 2003 enterprise edition installation continues….
- Click next in the Regional and Language Options screen
- Type the Name and Organization of your own choice and click next
- Type the computer name as per your your sap installation procedure. This name is very important. We have to give solution manager key during the installation of sap ecc 6.0. This key will be generated in the solution manager using host name, SID and instance number of the sap system. Either you should have the solution manager installed in another computer or should have the combination of hostname, sid, instance number and solman key to get successful installation of sap ecc 6.0
- Click next in the “Computer name and Administrator password” screen better set the password of your own
- Change the Date and Time setting according to your location and click next
- Installation continues….
- Type the workgroup or domain name Ex: WORKGROUP” and click next
- Copying files screen will appear and installation continues….
- Registering settings…. and Saving settings….
- Installation will be completed and restarted automatically comes to “Welcome to Windows” screen
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and enter into the OS screen by typing administrator and password
- Click finish in the “Windows server post-setup security updates” screen
- Click yes in the warning screen of “Windows server post-setup security updates” This screen will come when we click finish without updating security updates.
- Close the Manage your server screen
- Install VMware tools using VM menu in the VMware workstation and restart the os after completion of VMware tools installation
- You can partition the Hard Disk now to create D: and E: Drive
- Right click My Computer – Click Manage – Click Disk Management from the left pane. Right pane will be displayed with graphical representation of a hard disk
- Change the drive letter of CD drive to F: Right click and change drive letter and paths – click change – select F: drive and click OK – Click Yes in the warning message
- Now Right click the Unallocated space and click New partition – Click Next
- Select the primary partition and click next
- Select the partition size in MB of 250000 and click next
- Assign the Drive letter of D: and click next This drive is for selecting the option to store oracle and sap files and folders
- Select the Perform a quick format and click next
- Click finish in the “Completing the New partition wizard
- Do the same same steps to create E: drive This drive is to store the software dump
- Installation of Windows server 2003 Enterprise Edition is completed and ready for installing and configuring OS dependencies of SAP installation
- You can check my previous articles for installing and configuring OS dependencies of SAP installation
If your company wants to setup this kind of system to provide internal training to your employees, leave your comment using the following form. You can take my consulting services to setup or implement any kind sap system in your organisation. I can setup the SAP system landscape for low consulting charges.
I am receiving so many comments about to provide my service at free of cost. I don’t like to work at free of cost.
Never expect any service at free of cost which is not good for you to earn decent salary or good profit from your business. You should pay for the services that you take from someone, in return you don’t need to provide your services at free of cost to anyone. Job/Business is nothing but doing service for money.