Dialog instance installation in sap system is very simple. Before installing dialog instance, you should know what is dialog instance and why it is required. SAP system is nothing but no. of instances installed. Out of number of instances, first one is called as central instance and rest are called as dialog instances. Dialog instances are installed just to increase the power of an SAP system. I mean, If the number of users accessing sap system are increased, you need to add dialog instances on separate host. By adding dialog instance for existing SAP system, More number of users can request different functions of sap system simultaneously. You can go through the following procedure for installing dialog instance for existing SAP system on separate host.
Step-by-step procedure for Installing dialog instance in separate host:
- Install SAP system in one host, For example, You can install standard or central system in one host (Ex: on top of Windows server 2008 OS). Central system consists of Central services, Database and SAP central instance. This system can answer number of user requests simultaneously using its work processes. You need to have more number instances, when there is a high demand of user requests. To avoid long request queue time, you can add dialog instance to existing SAP system
- Install OS (Windows Server 2008) in another server and do all the necessary post installation tasks such as installing drivers and check whether the system is able to communicate in network with the main SAP system or not. If it is not able to communicate in network, Configure the network between existing OS which has complete SAP system already installed and the system which you have setup newly. The computer networking is mandate to install an SAP dialog instance.
- Copy all the necessary SAP installation files to new server for performing the dialog instance installation.
- Run the SAPINST exe file which is available inside installation master folder
- Select the option called Additional server instance or dialog instance
- Enter the network path of the profile folder when the installer prompts you to enter. Example of network path will be shown in the same input screen. So, It will be easy to type the complete network path to profile folder of your central system. This is the main folder which can give the information about central system to dialog instance. This folder is located inside usr directory of an SAP central system.
- Follow on the screen prompts just as normal as sap Netweaver installation
- Installation will be completed successfully within very less time, if all the parameters are given properly
- Now, both the servers are available for responding to the requests of different users of an SAP system
I hope this procedure looks like very simple to you. Please get back to me if you have any questions about this experiment. You can also ask me for online help for installing dialog instance in separate host. You can use the VMware workstation for performing this experiment. You can install number of dialog instances in this way to increase the power of an SAP system.